Sunday, November 19, 2017
This quilt is for my new niece. Julie chose a more muted color palette than Claire's airplane quilt. I didn't love the colors at first, but I am really happy with the way it turned out. When Julie told me she wanted a triangle quilt, I bought a triangle template because I hate cutting triangles with my rectangular ruler. Fortunately I bought most of the fabric before we moved because we don't live anywhere near a fabric store now.
I quilted it with a zigzag pattern similar to Claire's quilt. Julie wanted a grey binding, so I went with the same silver fabric as my last scrap quilt. Eventually I'll get back to the quilt for which I originally bought this fabric!
Finished size: 41" x 58"
Sunday, November 12, 2017
A while ago, Claire found a scrap of fabric and announced to Julie that she needed me to make her a stuffed horse with a saddle. (The saddle was very important.) Once Claire found out I was moving closer, she was very excited that I could bring my sewing machine to her house. (Julie also started lining up sewing projects it wouldn't have made sense to mail me.) I started looking for a pattern and found one for Henry the Horse in Jill Hamor's book, Storybook Toys. Claire loves unicorns so we added a horn. It came out fairly well considering my lack of experience with 3D patterns.
Sunday, October 29, 2017
This is Claire's Halloween treat bag. The C is an iron-on patch. There were no sequined Cs like I used for the twins, and only one pumpkin. The pumpkin is actually a sticker. I bought it thinking it was an iron-on patch, but fortunately I realized it wasn't before I tried to iron it. This bag was also made in May, and fortunately the sticker is still attached, since I was worried about its continued ability to stick to fabric.
Finished size: 5.5"H x 5"D x 4"W plus handles
Saturday, October 28, 2017
Halloween treat bags for the twins, made specifically to fit the miniature pinatas I found in the party section of Target. I bought the pinatas in May, because pinatas are a super fun candy delivery method! Fortunately I also made the bags in May as well, since another interstate move upset the craft schedule all summer. I found these sequined iron-on letter patches on clearance at Hobby Lobby. I love having initials on hand to personalize projects like this!
Finished size: 8"W x 6"H x 4"D plus handles
Sunday, July 9, 2017
While visiting San Antonio with my parents, I bought a Texas Christmas ornament, and it occurred to me when I got home that I didn't have a North Dakota ornament. I was cleaning up my maps after our trip when I realized that a map ornament would be the perfect way to recycle a map I didn't need anymore. Fortunately, Bismarck is small enough that it fit nicely on this star! It is very similar to my rainbow ornament - just a wooden shape mod podged with paper and a grommet to finish the hole I drilled.